Friday, December 23, 2011

Slow Cooker Country Style Ribs and Pulled Pork Sandwiches in a Crockpot


The pulled-pork sandwich at the Twisted Rooster is topped with slaw and cheese. (Credit: Heather Halligan)
NOW THIS IS A PULLED PORK SANDWICH!
Creamy yummy Slaw, Cheddar and BBQ slathered Pulled Pork!  Don't forget a yummy crusty toasted bun!

Hi everyone!  Everyone ready for Christmas?  I don't think I am ever ready for the holidays.  They come so fast!  Well I am just going to sit back and let it happen.  No more worries.

Today I made Country Style Ribs in a crockpot.  I used my favorite BBQ sauce, KC Masterpiece.  They offer many different varieties but I stuck with the Original today.  I've been wanting to make Country Style Ribs for awhile in the crockpot.  My mom used to always make them in the oven.  They are awesome.  She would sometimes make it with BBQ sauce and sometimes without, either way I loved it.  Since now my 2 year old likes to get into things while I'm cooking, if I can use a crockpot it's all the better.  Now I can literally fix it and forget it.

Product Photo by: www.KCMasterpiece.com
I love KC, but you can definitely use your favorite or homemade!

I took out my ribs out of the freezer and defrosted them.  Seared them a little in the pan and layed a layer of ringed onions in the crockpot and layed the ribs down.  I poured a whole bottle of sauce on top of the ribs.  I covered it and slow cooked it on low for 8-10 hours.  At this point they were falling off the bone.  I removed the bones so easily and I was so excited.  Though at one point I thought the meat was so tough at mid time during the cooking process I seriously thought it was a fail.  I left them alone and they proved me wrong.  They became tender, so falling off the bone.  I decided they would also make some great pulled pork sandwiches and that's how I ate them.  I think that the whole pieces were good too and great with any sides like Creamed Corn Cake and Spanish Rice.  Like a Tex Mex dinner.  I took some of the pieces and shredded them up and placed the pulled pork on the toasted buns and added some cheddar cheese and mayo on the other side of the bun.  I think another addition that is great with pulled pork sandwiches is to add some coleslaw on top.  Didn't have any on hand but I definitely will next time!  I've had some pulled pork sandwiches in restaurants that was served with the coleslaw.  So I would definitely suggest adding it to the sandwich for some creamy crunch!

They were great and very filling.  I wish I took pictures but the camera was unfortunately not charged.  I had to share this recipe because it is SO EASY and so full of flavor.  What could be better is that when they are done, I would of placed them on the grill.  It's too cold out for me right now so I look forward to doing it in the summer.  I had to share this with you and I hope you give it a try!  The first picture in this photo is not mine and is credited.  That is how I would build my typical Pulled Pork Sandwich!

Country Style Ribs in a Crockpot and a Pulled Pork Sandwich
3-4 pounds Country Style Ribs
Sliced Onions
BBQ Sauce
Coleslaw
Cheddar Cheese Slices
Fresh Crusty Buns to be Toasted
Salt
Pepper

Like I said above this is such an easy recipe. I first seared my ribs in a skillet and sprinkled some salt and pepper on the ribs, you can also use a special pork rub. The searing process help sear off some of the fatty pieces.

Slice some onions and lay them on the bottom of the crockpot. Lay your ribs on top of the onions and pour a whole bottle of BBQ sauce to completely cover the ribs.

Cook the ribs on a Low setting in your crockpot for 8-10 hours. I found that cooking them on the low setting to guarantee tender fall of the bone ribs.

You can certainly serve the ribs whole (some may fall off the bone into good serving pieces). I did remove the bones from the crockpot because they fell right off and I pitched them.

If you want to make the Pulled Pork Sandwiches, remove the meat from the crockpot into a large bowl and shred the meat using 2 forks. Put meat back into sauce in crockpot to keep meat warm. Make sure to turn off your crockpot at this stage or set it on the warm setting.

Toast some crusty buns and place your sauced up shredded meat in each bun, place cheddar cheese slices and add your coleslaw. Serve with anything you like. Chips, fries, baked beans or a salad or the slaw on the side are a few thoughts.

So from the crockpot process you can cook a hearty meal or some yummy sandwiches! You can do both if you'd like.

I really enjoyed this and for a long time I had something against cooking my own ribs. I can't wait to throw these onto the grill in the summer to get that yummy char. If you're lucky to have an indoor grill get grilling or stick them in a pan into the oven and broil them to get that great crisp coating! I can see this process also used with some yummy Baby Back Ribs!

If you try this out, let me know how it turned out for you! This is simple and quick for the busy mom without messing with a lot of ingredients! You can certainly make your own BBQ sauce and coleslaw. Make it your own, after all that's what it's all about!

Enjoy the leftovers too, they are great the next day. I think I may bring some to my mom....

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Annamaria

16 comments:

  1. Che panino squisito e invitante!Tantissimi auguri di Buon Natale! Baci,baci,baci....

    ReplyDelete
  2. E' Molto Buono Molly! Grazie e Auguri di Buon Natale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I don't know how I missed your comment on my blog last week. Thanks so much for becoming a follower! I am returning the favor, and so happy to do it now that I see all of these fabulous recipes! I can't wait to browse and start pinning!
    Nina

    ReplyDelete